Dragon's bite is venomous

Posted on May 19, 2009 by

0


diorama from the American Museum of Natural History, in NYC

diorama from the American Museum of Natural History, in NYC

It’s long been believed that the bite of the Komodo dragon was lethal because of the potent stew of bacteria found living in their mouths. But, as it turns out, the dragon’s bite would prove lethal even if the beasties brushed, flossed, and rinsed daily.  Australian researcher Brian Fry located the big lizard’s venom glands via magnetic resonance imaging, and then successfully extracted them from a terminally ill dragon at the Singapore Zoo. Although the poison elicits a variety of reactions, the deadly combo seems to be a drop in blood pressure and an anti-clotting agent that causes the victim to bleed out,  resulting in a victim too lethargic to resist the dragon’s attacks.

Read more about it here.

Advertisements